12.08.2013

Surviving the Holidays

I just wrapped up some gifts while listening to Christmas music. I had to put the final touches on my gifts before heading to Odessa this week. I will be driving there to visit and spend a few days with my sister and her children.

They are at the perfect age where everything is so magical.

I have been looking forward to visiting with my sister and the kids for months in their new home. My initial instinct when planning the trip was to research gyms and try and figure out how I'll get my workouts in while I am there. I have since taken a step back and changed my perspective. I have three days to spend with my family that I do not get to see often. The true act of pursuing balance would be to value as much time as I can with them. My personal goals will not suffer from a 3 day absence from the gym. I do plan to pack some healthy snacks such as nuts, rice cakes, quest bars and the ingredients to my mug cake (because I look forward to them everyday). I am sure I will eat a few meals out and have a Christmas cookie or two when making them with my nieces and nephews. Surviving the holidays is all about moderation. I have "dieted" (contest prep) through the last two Christmas holidays. This year I plan to allow some more moderation into my life. In order to stay committed and honest, I will be taking pictures of my food choices while traveling so that I may share them with you upon my return. My sister is also an avid fitness fiend so I would not be surprised if we find ourselves in the gym a time or two while I am there. BUT, if the option presents itself to snuggle and cuddle with my family while drinking hot cocoa in front of the fire, I will not be stressed about a missed workout.

If this week you find yourself with ample gym time and are looking for ideas, refer to my previous posts with a training routine for the week. You could also focus on a functional goal this week such as improving your flexibility by stretching nightly. Another idea is to focus on one healthy habit you could make and focus all your attention on that habit. Maybe you need to be better about drinking water? Maybe you skip breakfast and will aim to eat a healthy breakfast everyday this week. You can begin now, making small changes towards a better you and creating new habits that will carry you through to the new year.

- FitWhitt

No comments:

Post a Comment